MeSAGE Releases Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Collection
The Medical Student Alliance for Global Education, or MeSAGE, released its newest collection of Rx Bricks, which focuses on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. This set of free and open access digital learning modules from ScholarRx covers a core value of modern medical education, but one that has often been missing from the traditional curriculum.
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion bricks aim to provide a framework for students to reflect on the social determinants of health and health care disparities in our communities, along with their implications in achieving the best health outcomes for diverse patient populations.
This new collection on DEI was created by an international team of young authors, and designed for anyone with an interest in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion and eliminating health disparities through medical education.
Topics in the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion collection include:
- Health and Healthcare Equity
- Social Determinants of Health
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Undergraduate Medical Education
- Underrepresentation in Medicine From the US Perspective
- Cultural Competency and Humility
- Discrimination and Racism in Healthcare
- Biases and Microaggressions
The aim of MeSAGE is to empower student organizations with the tools and expertise to build medical education content that often falls outside of the traditional curriculum, and make that content freely available to any student, school, or institution in the world.
MeSAGE is the largest student-driven curriculum alliance on the planet, composed of student organizations representing over 1.3 million medical students in over 130 countries, from partners including:
- AMSA: The American Medical Student Association
- AMWA: The American Medical Women’s Association
- APSA: American Physician Scientists’ Association
- AMSA-International: Asian Medical Students’ Association
- EMSA: The European Medical Students’ Association
- IFMSA: International Federation of Medical Students Associations
- Phi Delta Epsilon: The International Medical Fraternity
- SNMA: The Student National Medical Association
- SNO: Student Network Organization
- SOMA: The Student Osteopathic Medical Association
Using the revolutionary digital learning platform, Rx Bricks, MeSAGE is building free interactive educational modules that address a wide range of topics, from health equity and human rights to medical education and digital health. Together, we aim to leverage the expertise and passion of medical students to develop engaging and open medical education content.
This is the third MeSAGE collection to be released, following the publication of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights in 2020 and The New Educator in late 2021. Upcoming MeSAGE collections include:
- Digital Health
- Social Accountability
- Climate Change and Health
- Health Policy and Advocacy
- Leadership and Management Skills
ScholarRx also recently announced a $25,000 grant program to support educators and students who want to build their own bricks. Learn how to apply for one of the 50 grants that will be awarded by going here: https://scholarrx.com/brick-builder-grant/
About ScholarRx: ScholarRx is a mission-driven organization currently serving over 150,000 medical students and physician learners annually. ScholarRx has developed a revolutionary componentized, multi-competency curricular platform that empowers medical schools and medical student organizations to rapidly develop high-quality education experiences, even in resource-constrained environments.