New Rx Bricks Collection: Biostatistics, Study Design, and Epidemiology
Biostatistics, Study Design, and Epidemiology
This week, we released a new Rx Bricks collection on Biostatistics, Study Design, and Epidemiology. Biostats is an area where medical students aren’t always comfortable, since, unlike areas such as anatomy, physiology, and pathology, it involves heavy dosages of math and statistics.
However, biostatistics, study design, and epidemiology serve as the foundation of evidence-based medicine, and are considered key competencies among practicing physicians. In the era of Covid, these skillsets have become even more critical, whether modeling for the spread of an epidemic or determining the probability of developing effective vaccines.
In this collection, we provide an introduction to the principles and practice of biostatistics, study design, and epidemiology, framed through the lens of public health. The goal is to prepare medical students so that they can be ready to answer questions like:
- Who is impacted by a particular health problem?
- How prevalent is it?
- What is causing the issue?
- Are there ways it can be treated and/or prevented?
Here is a look at what we cover in this new collection, from the fundamentals of statistics to the essentials of study design to the basics of epidemiology.
Biostatistics and Study Design
Fundamentals of Statistics
- Descriptive Statistics and Data Representation
- Inferential Statistics: Sampling Populations
- Statistical Hypothesis Testing: Foundations and Frameworks
- Fundamentals of Statistical Analysis
- Comparative Statistics: Parametric Tests
- Comparative Statistics: Nonparametric Tests
- Comparative Statistics: Correlation and Regression Analysis
- Diagnostic Test Characteristics
- Applying Tests to Clinical Decisions: Pretest and Posttest Probability
- The Scientific Method and Research Reasoning
- Clinical Reasoning
Basics of Study Design
- Research Question Creation and Evaluation
- Study Design: Foundations and Frameworks
- Descriptive Observational Studies
- Analytical Observational Studies
- Analytical Observational Studies: Outcome Measurements
- Randomized Controlled Trials: Foundations and Frameworks
- Randomized Controlled Trials: Design and Implementation
- Randomized Controlled Trials: Evaluation and Analysis
- Filtered Studies: Meta-analysis and Literature Searches
Elements of Study Design
- Study Design: Qualitative Studies and Mixed Methods Research
- Study Design: Survival Analysis
- Study Design: Sample Size and Power
- Study Design: Bias
- Study Design: Confounding and Effect Modification
Epidemiology and Public Health
Basics of Epidemiology
- Tools of Epidemiology
- Cost-Effectiveness Analysis
- Clinical Drug Trials